PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2014, 11:09
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbers44
No pilot would allow the PF to pull back a control yoke to the stops and hold it there. Only if the control inputs are hidden from him would he allow this mishandling, especially at high altitude, to happen.
Presumably those people in the accident record who did exactly that, despite yokes, shakers, pushers, manual trim, non-fbw etc., are not actually pilots then - along the lines of "no true scotsman" ?

I don't sit at the pointy end, but one thing I have learned from the user interface work I have done is that no matter how easy you try and make it for the user to do the right thing with the interface, and how hard you try and make it to do the wrong thing, sooner or later you always encounter the user who is actively trying to do the wrong thing. And they will find a way to succeed.

The real question is not what interface changes can be made to help the pilots do what they want to do, it is working out why this, and a lot of other crews, pulled _back_ and wanted to pull back to try and recover a stall. And why PNFs either think the same and assist, just acquiesce, or never make an effective attempt to take control.

"Climb, climb, climb"
”But I’ve been at maxi nose-up for a while”

They were falling out of the sky, and they both wanted to resolve this by climbing (and they checked the engines are at full thrust as well I think). Stall is only ever mentioned by the automated warning, how many times, over 100 ?, never by any of the pilots.