PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding stories
Thread: Gliding stories
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2014, 10:51
ChrisJ800

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Mary
Ive flown X country in UK and Oz and there are challenges of distance in Oz. For example Sydney is bad for cross country flying as you have the great dividing range as a big barrier thats tricky to fly over as you wouldnt want to land out in what we call tiger country. I used to have to do a 1 hr drive to Camden then hire a Cessna 172RG or 182 to Narromine (around 1 1/2 hours) just to do a 100km X Country. If you landed out you could get an aero tow retrieve as paddocks are huge. Or you could visit Waikerie or Benalla which are a long way from big cities and do great X countries from there. And a 100k triangle isnt really a X Country when you can cruise at 5000-10000 feet in blue thermals! You are basically in gliding range of the home airfield the whole flight.

In UK I did have one lady farmer come angrily over with a shotgun after I landed in her paddock. Fortunately our club could offer a free passenger flight for farmers, which smoothed things over with her. UK paddocks are often too small for aerotow retrieval.