PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is farm strip flying good for you ?
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2014, 09:54
Capt Kremmen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is farm strip flying good for you ?

Not half ! With the acquisition of a STOL a/c, I began using farm strips about five or six years ago.

With displaced thresholds, obstructed approaches, occasional soft ground and very often, a first time absence of visual cues, it can feature a high work load. Guessing the wind - in the absence of a windsock or, not seeing one tucked away behind a barn - can be a bit of a gamble.

The net gain is, that using these farm strips hones and sharpens your piloting skills to quite a remarkable extent.

A copy of Lockyer's Farm Strip Guide contains details of most of the farm strips in Britain and is essential reading.

I still use conventional aerodromes with tarmac strips and various aids to landing and navigation but, they are on the whole undemanding in terms of the challenges posed.

For farm strip use, a STOL a/c is useful but, not strictly necessary. Most strips that I've been into, will happily accomodate a four or six seater single or twin. Just make sure that in most cases you land on the numbers !