PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 25th Sep 2014, 00:18
SextanteUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a frozen ATPL, IR included. All EASA exams passed 6-7 years ago.

I know it would be easierto stay here in the US (got a greencard 2 years ago). But the truth is that family matters, parents, sister......and I'm like 2 flights and some 9.000km away from them, wich is too much after 7 years living abroad. Living in Europe means a direct flight 2-3h from home, that's way different.

So since flying is my dream, it's all about airplanes or helicopters, and if it was like here in the US, actually I'd fly both, wich I think is amazing.
Fixed wing T&C in EU are getting worse and worse, and apparently offshore is facing "good times", compared to airlines. I've been reading about rosters in N.Sea, and compared to Easyjet roster for example, they rock. Even if you get less salary, IMO quality of life looks better.

If I go fixed wing, then I'm assuming I'm gonna work for a crappy salary the next 5 years, until they consider me a senior F/O in a shinny jet. With helicopters, I'd still get crappy salaries for a couple of years here in USA as CFI, but next move wouldn't be so bad apparently.

I don't know. It just looks like the whole aviation bussiness is going to hell slowly

2-3 more years here in the US and then I want to move back to Europe, no matter hat country, but with some decent job, or at least a nice perspective for it. Maybe I just don't get it and times have changed, period.