PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2014, 22:02
Danny42C

Flying Training Failure Rates in the Arnold Schools.

Hempy,

I haven't read any of Dr Quinn's books, but thought they were mostly about the BFTS, and we've had several chaps on Thread (Cliff for a start) who were there and know all about it, whereas I was an Arnold boy and know little of them apart from the fact that they existed.

The Great Divide (in loss rates) seems to have occurred between (Arnold) 42D and 42E. I'd guess that 42D started around 7th October '41. It's interesting that BFTS 42K had 30 hours Grading School in UK first, but (assuming that the BFTS Courses ran side by side with the Arnold - and I think they both started about the same time in the summer of '41), 42K would start some 40 weeks later and so cannot have been a factor in the Arnold case.

At Carlstrom in 42C, we certainly had a lot "washed out" in the first week or two (40% would not surprise me) but we all thought that was quite normal (I myself lost three of my four room-mates). Our Instructors did not seem to find it in any way unusual. Does anybody know the "scrub rates" in UK EFTS at the time ?

Danny.