PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding stories
Thread: Gliding stories
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2014, 08:29
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, IFMU, as an American glider pilot, can you confirm or otherwise my impression that X-country experience is not required to instruct in gliders?
Seemed to me in my long ago dealings with FAA GADOs, they didn't really speak the language at all at all.

As far as American built gliders are concerned, o dear! Constructed from aluminum (now how do we pronounce THAT word?) they are very sturdy and can be left outside, furthermore they are by definition a Faraday cage and so you don't have to worry when tickling CuNimbs! but have they yet built a decent 2 seater in the US of A? some of the experimental single seaters look interesting....but if I were looking for a nice glider now, it would still be something that would qualify for the Club Class competition....if I could afford one, an LS8....

Most old farts that still fly gliders prefer something with a handy get you home device, like self launching DG - now that is a very decent beast indeed, the t/o performance superb, the glide ratio very impressive, and still currently being flown x-country by the only person in my club who is older than me..... And he does hangar it in a T-hangar in the summertime..... but in the winter it goes back in its trailer in his home driveway, and he buggers off to Spain. All right for some.

But if you intend to shelter your baby in the club hangar, beware of hangar rash. This is caused by other eager pilots not noticing when their wingtips key your immaculate finish...