PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding stories
Thread: Gliding stories
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2014, 19:53
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep it in a hangar fully rigged? not planning to rig and derig, so not planning to fly cross country? Because if you did intend to fly cross country you should be well practiced in rigging and derigging your glider. It does NOT require an engineer to remove and replace the wings, just a good design and practice and a decent trailer.

Of course the US is the country where instructors in gliders are not required to have flown cross country. Can it be that Canada also does not require cross country flying in gliders to become proficient enough to instruct? dear dear.

I do hope that when you extract this ASW20 from its storage that it gives you pause. Skill in light aircraft and the other disciplines does not necessarily translate into soaring flight. For one thing, despite advances like flarm, it is still customary for gliders to fly closer together than power fliers are accustomed to, especially in competition. From day one in gliders, lookout should be paramount. The eyes outboard, not scanning the panel. How is your lookout?

Now if you were to start your gliding in a K8, I would be truly impressed.
As it is, I am just a tad concerned. Open spaces in Canada didn't prevent a recent midair when "blind spots" of opposing traffic resulted in fatality....