PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thames/Heathrow - G-LIZZ: It weren't me, honest!
Old 23rd Sep 2014, 14:45
Timothy

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, that takes us to an argument as old as the hills.

Who wants the airspace? Who wants to be controlled within it? VFR GA certainly doesn't. The airspace is there for the protection of IFR CAT, so IFR CAT should pay for it.

I think that the question of paying for airways routes is a different matter. As my light aircraft isn't quite light enough, I do pay quite hefty Eurocontrol charges. But I consider that just part of the cost equation. Do I want the safety and convenience of IFR? Then I will pay for it.

I actually have some sympathy with the view that any aircraft which wants to fly IFR in the airways structure should pay for the privilege (ooops, that just got me drummed out of AOPA!) It is a service, and we are used to paying for service.

But being given (sometimes grudging) access to airspace which should be treated as open FIR when there is no IFR traffic to protect is a different matter.

That would be like charging pedestrians a Road Fund Licence to cross the road. Their preference would be that there should be no road to cross in the first place!