PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thames/Heathrow - G-LIZZ: It weren't me, honest!
Old 23rd Sep 2014, 13:46
Timothy

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GAPSTER
compromise the operation
I think that the answer lies in policy decisions.

"The operation" should include the expedited transit of and access to VFR traffic.

I can see why people can think that "the operation" is getting IFR traffic out of and into the airways system and that anything else is a dangerous distraction, but that is not how it is supposed to be. Class D is supposed to be about the protection of IFR traffic in a known mixed traffic environment.

If the powers that be believe that Classes A, B or C are justified, then they should put in an ACP and have the question debated openly.

But while we have Class D it should be operated as Class D.

My particular example of the exclusion of VFR traffic when there is no IFR traffic (and there is not going to be any for nearly three hours) merely exposes a situation for scrutiny.

Once that question has been answered there it becomes easier to apply the answers to other situations where there is relatively little IFR traffic, with lots of gaps of extended periods (eg Farnborough) up on through the moderately busy, to the Class D around Gatwick and Heathrow.