PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another RAF veteran passes away with no family or friends to attend his funeral
Old 23rd Sep 2014, 09:26
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
I tend to go along with Hangarshuffle on this. Sure I'm proud of my 12 year's service, but like the majority of us in what we call "peacetime" I got through unscathed. I dont expect any special treatment, like ex-service discounts, etc, and I dont want people saying to me "thank you for your service" - no thanks are required. I volunteered, did the job, got paid, end of.

It is of course perfectly right that those did suffer as a result of their service should be well looked after, including the many who have such disorders as post-traumatic stress which have been sadly neglected in the past, but that apart, I don't see that most of us deserve any special treatment. Mrs TTN, who spent over 40 years as an overworked and underpaid midwife gets no such treatment - why should I expect it?

I'll be pleased if a big crowd turns up at Mr Crossland's funeral, but on the same day there will be scores of funerals of people who may have led equally productive lives whose deaths will go unremarked and unmourned.

(btw Hangarshuffle, in that instance it's you're )