PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go West, young man - or should it be North, South or East?
Old 22nd Sep 2014, 21:44
iPahlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell your student if he is still young to go to university and get into Engineering.
Yeah, with unemployment in Melbourne for Engineers sitting around 18% they'd be slightly better off than a pilot...

My first two jobs were on the east coast, albeit further north than Sydney (not instructing or meat bombing) and my next two were "up north".

As mentioned here and in countless threads, aviation is a matter of networking, being persistent and timing. There is no quick fix, however much you hope and pray. You get lucky quite quickly or you WILL get lucky if you practice patients and don't act like the world owes you something.

One guarantee though, you will not find a job sitting on your derriere and sending out resumes from a capital city.

If you don't have the money to go north now, suck it up, get a job and save some money. Yes it might mean saying no to your mates when they want to hit town and it may mean doing a job you don't particularly like, but it'll get you somewhere where the jobs are.

Also, if you have gone from high school to flying school and never held a job (even if it's making coffee, stacking shelves or delivering pizza) you will find it even more difficult to get a job flying as very few operators want to teach you how to fly their planes AND the realities of working a full time job.

Just my two cents.