PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2014, 14:47
Ian Burgess-Barber

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
"Pipped at the Post"

DFCP "In the US I believe it was similar or perhaps worse since I have read of either in 44 or early 45 a group in Florida being addressed by a visiting senior officer and their training ceased at that time".

Certainly that was the case at 5 BFTS in Florida. Course 25 arrived at Riddle Field on April 3rd 1945. Course 26 arrived June 19th. Course 24, in training since January 22nd '45 were permitted to graduate as scheduled, on August 25th 1945, but the 201 cadets of Course 25 and 26 were declared "incomplete" in the 5 BFTS log. Whilst awaiting orders for reassignment they were visited in late July by John Bennett of the British Ministry of Labour who addressed the uneasy cadets on "Your Release and Resettlement", and offered them the services of his agency on the opportunities and options open to former RAF personnel. One of the RAF Officers looking on at the assembled 201 "incomplete" unfortunates is quoted as saying "My, my, now you are redundant. What in the world will we do with you?"

Ian BB