PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado GR1 ZA610
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2014, 13:31
paulilf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the replies about this, it has helped answer a few questions. I have now contacted the historical records office who inform me that the files pertaining to this should be in the National archive in about 6 months time. I am still no closer to finding out the identity of the second body and ejector seat. An M.O.D spokesman back in 1985 said at the time it was from a previous jet crash a year before. He then changed the story the next day to say it was from a civilian aircraft. Civilian aircraft ejector seat? the second body was airlifted from the Dutch trawler and flown by RAF helicopter to great Yarmouth. There the trail has gone cold. But who was the second body.
The royal navy's Mine counter-measures vessel Brecon was one of the 5 mine sweepers to search for Tornado.
But the mystery still remains as to why they continued to search when the crew of the trawler had already found the aircraft. They were also told by the crew of the Brecon that the tornado was sat 180ft below them on the sea bed. And apart from being dragged by the trawlers nets was in full form.
Thank you for your help Paul.