PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scavenging a crashed 777: for a book
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2014, 12:28
kenpimentel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: tools
Thats what I wanted to hear. A reasonably well-equipped tool bag. Spares aren't probably useful unless they can be easily repurposed to do other useful things.

re: motors
From my research, it seems that a brushless DC motor may produce DC or AC depending on it's design. I think that is what I learned. For use in power generating, you need a design that produces power at low RPM (500 or so). A high RPM DC motor isn't useful unless you can gear it to get the proper RPMs.

re: turbine starters
That's great news! Theoretically, that could be removed from the APU and put on something smaller. It's probably well setup to drive with steam (once I figure out how to get a decent sized boiler together). I think I could theoretically use the carbon-fiber waste tank as long as I don't heat it with a direct flame. If I protected it with an aluminum plate from the plane, the radiant heat from the plate would heat the tank. After all, it shouldn't have to get more than 150 degrees C to produce plenty of steam. Need to work out all the math and look at the pressures it would require...