PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Joy in Zurich
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2003, 05:29
DCS99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We live 3 miles off the extended centre-line from the R16 departure and I work at the airport, so I have a fair idea of the situation.

Couldn't agree more about R28 after 2100hrs CET, it's ridiculous.
I commented ages ago on a similar thread that 1 hour extension for R14 arrivals and R16 departures would dramatically improve the holding situation in the evenings.

I really doubt there's bias in favour of swiss: my longest hold inbound to ZRH was 30 minutes and that was on swiss. I've heard the odd BA pilot commenting on the PA as they arrive on the last departure from LHR "oh, we have to go in the hold here, that's a first for me/unusual here/a surprise". I wish it was unusual, it's normal anytime after 2100CET any night of the week.

On a positive note, I understand that the German action to limit overflights that causes the "R28 rule" is being challenged as illegal in the courts, though God knows which courts as Switzerland ain't in the EU.

To me, what is criminal is that a Crossair RJ crashed in 2001 making a VOR approach in tricky weather conditions whilst a perfectly servicable ILS was available for R14. And that's "noise abatement" is it? Thank you NIMBY German farmers. All ten of you.