PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2014, 20:50
DFCP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gaining an RAF pilots brevet in WW2

I note recent mention of 617.
March 1945 after Grading School I was sent on detachment to Woodhall Spa.This was nomal due to the surfeit of trained aircrew and the resulting "constipation" of the training system.
I recall nothing of what work I did there . Some on these detachments were used as helpers in bomb dumps. I do have recollection though of Lancasters arriving back and landing after an aborted raid ,with their Grand Slams very prominent due to removal of the bomb bay doors.
I did manage to get one passenger flight in a Lancaster on a practice bomb drop in The Wash.I amused myself in tbe mid upper turret until the Sqdn Leader captain voiced a complaint.My swinging of the turret---airflow disturbance?---according to him had adversely affected his bombing accuracy
When we landed I did not stick around to discuss!
Certainly in Canada most of the training stations had been gradually closed before VJ day.In the US I believe it was similar or perhaps worse since I have read of either in 44 or early 45 a group in Florida being addressed by a visiting senior officer and their training ceased at that time.Again I think this all relates to Churchill being upset at the number of surplus aircrew around late 1944.
By October 45 Bircham Newton and Docking were replete with ex u/t, sfrom Canada, the US and Rhodesia.
D