PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2014, 18:58
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
PJ2
We're back to my original comment in July of 2009 on the second thread - if the PF had "done nothing", (meaning, just maintained pitch and power as the airplane doesn't care about loss of an airspeed indication), the stall would not have occurred and the roll would have been controlled.
I think we all respect and share this point of view, but the discussion imho at the moment is what went wrong when Bonin did what he did and why did he do it.
Besides doing nothing an expierienced crew should be able to do something without diregarding basic aerodynamics and without crashing within 4 minutes from FL 350

Multiple reasons had been mentioned, the startle factor in the report, the PIO effect discussed here, the former mentioned wish by Bonin to climb to higher altidude, suspected uncorrect seat position, to name a few. Most probably it was a combination of different factors, and i would not exclude PIO as one part of the unsuspected behaviour which might have left Bonin without any confidence into the aircraft and its feedback and its imstruments indications. He was pretty fast out of the loop, and he managed to kick Robert out of the loop as well. Both together managed to express so little information to the later arriving captain Dubuois, that he remained out of the loop as well. There must be reason for this total breakdown of professionalism we expect from pilots, and i think it is vital to dig deeper than the official report goes. I have expierienced PIO myself (assume in the same type like machinbird) after Take off, therefore i can follow this line of arguments.

We discussed another point in former threads, which might have played an aditional role. Without airspeed indication the FBW system uses preset gaines for deflecting flightcontrols in relation to SS deflection. I do not remember wether we came to a conclusion for which speeds those would be optimized. But sure Bonin was not used to them as such training (loss of airspeed in high altitudes at high speeds) was not done in normal training. The control inputs might well have been inapropriate for the preset (but unknown) gains thus causing flightcontrol deflectins and thus aircraft reactions not encountered before in all three axis.

Last edited by RetiredF4; 22nd Sep 2014 at 15:31.