PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sense of Humo(u)r failure?
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2014, 16:48
exrivofrigido

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We take discipline seriously in the Foot Guards - not a secret and something of a point of pride. Our position in the Army, the feats of arms accomplished by those who wore the uniform before us and indeed by those who will wear it when we have gone, are founded on that simple, immovable point. I can't really comment on the incident in question except to say that I haven't encountered a great deal of sympathy for him amongst our NCOs. If he got 21 days, he will almost certainly have 'done' them at Colly - very few, if any, barracks these days have licenced cells any more. Even quite new ones are out of ticket now - the Home Office regulations change so fast that it's simply too expensive to keep upgrading them, so we've ended up with just a few 'hub' locations.

Grenadiers (probably resenting somewhat their more illustrious elders ) are especially 'regimental' about such things. I am minded of one of the most impressive soldiers I have ever met, a giant of a man, sadly later KIA, who, on a previous tour, carried a wounded Guardsman over his shoulder for something like a 2km fighting extraction. On reaching the point at which they were finally able to set up an HLS, the man thanked him profusely for saving his life, though in somewhat over familiar terms. The response was 'that's Sir to you, you c***'. Firmly tongue in cheek, and couldn't possibly have raised his stock any higher.

BTW - our bayonets are not usually sharp. The points are, because it's a stabbing weapon, but a sharp blade is liable to cut into and stick in the ribs of one's adversary, rather than force them apart. Awkward to be left stuck in one chap when there are more of HM's enemies waiting to be offered a bit of Sheffield's cheapest steel.