PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2014, 15:57
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PT6Driver
Machinebird
Not often I post on here but..
The PIO is somthing of a side issue, because his imediate reaction is to pitch up. The slowing speed will surely then have compounded the roll control problems.
There was a complete and utter breakdown of the methodology in dealing with non normal events. No one called the correct failures, no one allocated tasks, no one had any command of the cockpit far less the aircraft.
PF's initial reaction to pitch is what killed him and everyone else.
We need to look at why he pitched up and why did the pair of them not follow any known procedure for dealing with problems.
PT6Driver, First, let me welcome you to the discussion.
Your response is about what I would expect from 99%+ of the pilot population, however it is evident to me that you do not understand/believe the nature of the PIO experience.

It appears to me that the initial pull up that Bonin experienced was largely an unintended consequence of his battle with stabilizing the aircraft in roll, and I'll try to explain why.

Ask yourself what your response would be to an aircraft that is not following your control inputs. Would you calmly begin going through the checklist, or would you stabilize the aircraft first?

As pilots, we are trained to control aircraft rather precisely. If a wing drops, we pick it up. If the nose gets a little high we ease it down. That is all that Bonin initially did. He tried to pick up a low wing the way he always did and it over corrected with extreme rapidity. As pilots we automatically correct for errors on the subconscious level, so he again corrected the overshoot in the manner he was accustomed to and the aircraft again overshot his roll target.

With our hindsight viewpoint, we know that 100% of the roll oscillation was being generated by Bonin, but he did not know that. In his mind, he could not stop trying to tame this strange flight characteristic, he was the pilot flying, and he knew the autopilot was definitely out.

From my past analysis of the AF447 roll information, I know that the rapidity of his inputs then increased. The only thing that makes sense is that he determined that he was just a little slow in responding to to the roll rate and he could stop it if he was a little quicker about it. But the roll oscillation continued........... About this time, the aircraft began pitching up significantly.

Do you still hold the view that PIO is a tangential issue?