PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - William to fly air ambulance
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2014, 11:46
nutnurse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It appears that these days Capt. Wales prefers to be addressed as "H", presumably what his HC chums call him, "Harry" (the name his mother gave him) now being family only. Lots of us do that or similar. He recently said that "at this stage of my life" (i.e. he's grown up and knows there's no point in chucking toys out of the pram) he intends to concentrate on using his Royal position in order to help and encourage wounded servicemen and women: "The Americans started it, I stole it, and now it's spread internationally". It seems to be the case that he's discussed this with HM, who is doing everything she can to help.

What's to be disappointed in? At this stage of their careers, most HC officers (or troopers/NCOs for that matter) would be on a two-year donkey-walloping posting at Hyde Park. H is a self-confessed compartmentaliser: "There's my private life, my Army life, and the things I do for my grandmother". Maybe that's the only way of dealing with the absurd goldfish bowl we expect Royals to live in, and of keeping the dreary old fart courtiers off his back. Well done and good luck, say I.

As for Flt Lt (rtd) W, he couldn't have stayed in once the MOD had announced that SAR was to be privatised, he'd have been dragged into a politically contentious matter. Like many ex-RAF, he has found a way of using his Service skills for the benefit of us all. Is this to be denied him and us, leaving him (in the words of the Goat mod. FOMz) "wandering around wondering why the world smells of fresh paint"? Good luck to him as well.