PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hours building: Questions, Ideas, Advice, Countries etc
Old 21st Sep 2014, 10:48
Helihopefull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running into a wall

Well how to start this thread, gutted I suppose will cover it!!
I took my PPL(H) in 2008 and haven’t flown since but have been thinking about it all the time and with juggling work and my home life unable to finance any flying.
I came to the decision that I wanted to fly for a career so organized a loan to cover it and was aiming to go to the US and gain my IFR, CPL, CFI and CFII to gain hours and experience.
Obviously I can’t work out there due to me being English and the fact that since 9/11 it is hard and nearly impossible to get a working visa.
With this in mind I thought that once I had gained 200 hours over there after completing my courses, I would come back to good old blighty and exchange my US licenses for the new EASA ones.
Now I started this threat by the word GUTTED. This is because after looking at this tread there seems to be several issues that are in my way.
1st issue, the magical hours that you need to get a job that all threads seem to go on about. The magical 1000!
It seems like it’s the old age adage, the chicken and the egg in that you need the 1000+ hours to get a job but yet you need a job to gain these hours!!
I have researched all threads helicopter related to gain as much information regarding the industry as I can so here comes my issue.
2nd issue, employment. From what I can gather there are loads of you rotorheads out there that have significantly more experience and hours than I have and maybe even better looking than me!! You guys seem to be struggling getting employment so how does a pasty Englishman like me get employed??
3rd issue, to IR or not to IR, that is the question (Shakespeare, did you like that?) I know that if I want to go offshore then I need it but with such low hours after training, is it worth the 50 grand (providing I can sell all my organs to get the cash) risk?
4th issue, I’m 40 so is this going to go against me?
As all of you guys and girls, I have bills, mortgage and a family to provide for.
It’s obviously possible as some of you lucky people with hard work and dedication have managed it, but how?
I just want to see if anybody can help or give me any pointers to see how I should progress, if at all?
Please feel free to PM or email me (No abuse though).
Thanks guys.