PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Joy in Zurich
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2003, 03:27
ZRH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colonel Klink

You wont belive the restrictions there are on the ATCs at ZRH!!
I think your frustrations are to be expected, but its definately not ATCs fault.
If you're inbound via BLM, the french leave you guys high and transfer the tfc to us at a very late stage. So you tend to end up very high, needing to reduce the speed and like you say, join the hold at EKRIT quite often. I can assure you that nobody here gives swiss any preferential treatment. They hate swiss too much for that!!
TFC joing Ekrit hold is inbound from three different directions, so it might seem that aicraft are sneaking in ahead of you when they're from the south or south west. And obviously there are many swiss aircraft(for now still) as this is their home base...! And one swiss aircraft looks like another, so it would be easy to mistake the one who entered the hold after you with the one, or three that leave the hold ahead of you!
The controllers have no space and therefore have to reduce TFC from way out. Have you ever looked at the map and seen how small Switzerland is? Then there is the absurd procedure of using runway 28 from 9pm in the week and from 8pm on weekends. It makes it very difficult for us. The departures from RWY 34 and 32 dont fly into Germany, but have to depart from these runways to save the poor people who live on the other side and who had to endure noise the entire day. Shame. If the guys in the twr let somebody land even one minute after the cut-off time on RWY 16/14, the DCA can fine us by SFR20000. So nobodys taking any chances.
They also need bigger spacing on final for RWY 28 as there are no hi-speed turn-offs.
As to phraseology on the ground: thats the apron office, who are not ATC and who have no ATC training. Its a specialty of ZRH which I've never seen elsewhere.
Happy landings