PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medical Cert Issues
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2014, 01:26
Dogman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some advice with hindsight

Hi guys.....you may remember me from such posts as http://www.pprune.org/pacific-genera...e-problem.html

To answer and help I Con out, here are the results of what happened to me.

I wont go over the whole lot (see above link), but basically I answered the FAST test too honestly and scored a 3........letter from CASA requesting bloods and liver function etc in order to process my Class 1.

Blood tests were completed stat, and forwarded to the GP who did my medical. Unbeknowst to me the GP's office did not forward the results to CASA........so 4 weeks later and getting very close to the 2 month medical stamp extension cut off I phone the av med section only to learn that they never received the results. If I remember correctly that was a Friday, so I quickly scanned and emailed the results to Canberra. Phoned back Monday only to learn that the DAME in charge of checking these things only works for CASA on Tues and Thurs as he has a private practise on the other days - I couldn't believe it?? Here we are paying as a collective $$$$ for our medicals to be assessed and processed and yet they don't employ a fulltime DAME.

Anyway long story short, my test results were fine and full Class 1 issued.

The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth, and made me realize that many (most) pilots aren't telling the DAME's the truth out of fear of losing their medicals (livelihood) for an extended period, or perhaps straight away. Its certainly not ideal but we (Pilots) are again having to modify our behavior to cater for an imperfect system.

Good luck I Con.......all I can say is that it has not come up again on my further 2 medicals.

Cheers

DM