PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots suspended after North Sea helicopter lands on wrong platform
Old 20th Sep 2014, 23:04
Whirling Wizardry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"You are always a better pilot than your co-pilot. I have spent more of my life than I would like to remember as a co-pilot and I have always listened and learned from the Captain of the aircraft." - I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Who said anything about co-pilots thinking they are better pilots than the captain? My point was that quoted hours of experience doesn't necessarily make you a better pilot, it just means you've had more time airborne. We shouldn't confuse experience with competence.

What about the situation where you have 2 captains crewed together, which of them is the better pilot? The one acting as captain for that sortie? Following day, both pilots crewed together again but the previous day's co-pilot is now the captain, are they now the better pilot?

I've held captaincy for many years and the best thing I think any captain can do is not go into a flight with the belief that they are the better pilot, they are simply charged with the overall conduct and safety of the flight, building an air of self-belief that you are the better pilot based purely on your rank is wrong, IHMO at least.