PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2014, 00:32
Danny42C

Baron Munchausen Lives !

Smudge, There is one thing (I don't know the Lanc). Is there some access from the inner crew space into the bomb bay ? (IIRC, in the B-24 Liberator there was a walkway through the bomb bay from fore to aft compartments - but I then I don't know the Lib. either).

As for the danger of a pilot accidentally opening the bomb doors and jettisoning the pax: in the first place no pilot has any need to even think of opening the doors in flight unless "with malice aforethought" (ie he has bombs on the racks which he intends to drop on someone).

And in the second it would have to be a pilot of unprecedented stupidity to do this (except in the case of losing one or more engines), when the thing cannot maintain height, you must "lighten ship" in every way possible. Pity about the pax in the bay (I take it they have no 'chutes), but if you don't shed them you'll all die anyway !

I've told the story of the old style ("Dragon Rapide") Dominie, one failed, the pax were a parachute display team, they readily agreed to "step outside" and he got it down on one. (True).

"It was done for the safety of those in the bomb bay" ! Your late father-in-law was pulling your...leg ! (MINE, TOO).

Danny.

PS: OF COURSE THAT'S IT ! - WHY HAVE WE BEEN WASTING ALL THIS TIME ON IT ? - IT'S JUST ANOTHER "GOLDEN RIVET" OR "SHIP'S WHE...EEEELS !"

(Union Jack can explain, I'm sure). D.