PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2014, 22:56
Nick H.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please try not to laugh, but to save me reading the whole thread, could somebody tell me whether 52 is too old to start from scratch and become a bush pilot in the back of beyond?

That would be my only ambition - bush pilot in the arse end of nowhere. Transporting cannibals for Susi Air in a Porter would be as exciting for me as low level stuff in a RAF fast jet. (Which was all I wanted when I was a yoof. But I failed the medical.)

My only experience is gliding as a teenage air cadet. Half a dozen 4 minute solos.

EDIT: OK, I've read the thread now, and it seems to me that it's not yet too late. Say I spend the next 2-3 years training, I apply for bush pilot jobs when I'm 54/55, I can have a 10 year career before retiring at 65, that's assuming I can keep passing the medicals.

I have no ties and would love to be based in a developing country. I don't need money, I'm used to not having any! I was affluent and successful in my 20s, been there done that, I'd rather have a bicycle than a flash car.

Maybe a bush airline would like the idea of a 55 year old who wanted to stick with a single engine TP for 10 years rather than a 25 year old who only wants the job for 2 years before going back to Europe to fly a 737?

I suspect the thing that will stop me is failing the medical before I even start training. That's what has always stopped me in the past. I suppose I need to head to another forum to get into the specifics of all that.

Last edited by Nick H.; 20th Sep 2014 at 00:08.