PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expired database, legal?
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2014, 19:34
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a Mooney pilot

I dare say that he might be correct (in the USA) IF he does all the verification. For VFR no problem.But when the subscription is an annual one……you might as well do it every month anyway.

Lets look at the CAO20.18 reference though.
9A.4 A GPS computer’s data base referred to in paragraph 9A.3 must be current and provided by a person who is an approved supplier for the purposes of paragraph
233 (1) (h) of the Regulations.
Two points here to consider. (A) provided by an approved supplier i.e Jepp and (B) must be current ???

Well if point A is met, all that is needed is proof the data is current. So if you sat down with your current Jepp IA plate and verified the data was current for all the waypoints in the data base for the flight you were about to take, you could argue that you met the requirements of CAO20.18 as written.

Not sure why you would bother though

Mental exercise: Perhaps the trip you are making is out bush, no internet, and you want the Birdsville RNAV, so you check this before you launch. We all know it worked yesterday legally, we have phoned ASA/JEPP and the plate is still current, so we have met the requirements of the regs.

Of course CASA plod will have his view of the world, and it is easy to prove an up to date database, but it may actually be legitimate here too with up to date verification of the data. Again I stress why would you bother, but if you got snookered by a few days or some other reason, you could still be legally able to proceed.

Interesting question for Creampuff to think about with his outside the Aussie box hat on.