PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WELL DONE FRANCE!
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2014, 18:59
effing Finn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't know Qatar is right next (cubicle) to Cornwall...

Double-checking the RIA Novosti piece (Russian Sailors to Take Part in Sea Trials on Mistral Warship) as is always a healthy habit... I found the same news referenced in multiple sites, most citing RIA or RT as the source, some citing AFP as the original source. Some of these had 13 Sep as the date (of the newspiece and the departure), some had 16 Sep. Browsing AFP.com now, I don't find that original source. Latest bit seems to be this from 18 Sep, quoting Hollande:

"In regards to the Mistral ships, which were to be delivered (to Russia) at the end of October, I have already said that in the current circumstances, that won't be possible. But if the ceasefire is respected, if order is restored, then they can be delivered and the contract be executed. But we're not there yet."

(Unpopular Hollande faces questions from media | AFP.com)

Anyone seen the sea trials with Russian sailors reported by a respectable news agency? A linky would be nice. One would think it would make a bit of a splash, what with the recent French statements suggesting the deal is frozen now. (Or maybe I'm giving this too much importance, maybe the two things don't rule out each other after all?)