PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetBlue return, evac
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2014, 17:51
GreyhoundMUC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTqnTMPxKaY

Another video from a passenger with the smoke inside the cabin present, and the announcement of the CPT that they had a RHS engine failure and returning to Long Beach.
According to the Flightaware flight track the engine issue started approx. five minutes before touch down, or nine minutes after take off.
As a SCCM myself I can only say that there is not much that can be done more than a very quick exchange with the flightdeck to report the smoke in the cabin, and the particular smell, and getting a very short NITSA briefing, that I can forwad to the rest of the crew!
I am not sure why on of the FA's is 'strolling' down the aisle. I can't see the importance of realeasing o2 masks manually anyway. Besides that crewmember is NOT wearing a portable o2 bottle so I guess the dropped down o2 masks just add a bit of a drama!
However, I categorise the situation as serios from my point of view but the passengers seem to be rather relaxed, filming the whole landing phase and themselves, and they seem totally unaware of what the call-out "BRACE,BRACE" means.
I would welcome some pilot view of an engine overheat warning and/or engine failure and the amount of workload that comes along with it.
And, also, how long is the checklist you pilots have to work down in such an incident, with engine shut down, alert call to cabin crew ect after the complete stop of the aircraft?

Thank you for some input!