PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bang it on???
Thread: Bang it on???
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2014, 11:18
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going back to the original theme, I was training an amphibian pilot glassy water landing technique in Norway last week. We had a good long runway to ourselves for a dozen circuits, so I made use of it. Two amber lights of AoA indicator and the power required for a 100 FPM descent rate, and we "arrived". It was a "bang it on", no attempt to flare more than the approach attitude (though ground effect helped a tiny bit). The key was to assure that nose up control was applied at the bang, or the bang from the nosewheels hitting was about as bad!

Later in the training, I was asked to take the 182 amphib into a 300 by 10 metre mountain pass runway. After I had walked the runway, and flown a practice overshoot, I landed it in there. I did not fish for a greaser on that one, I got it on, and stopped with no fooling around.

I was watching Porter land Dash 8's at YTZ yesterday. I have not "walked a mile in their shoes" so I guess the fact that they bang them on, is operationally desirable for the somewhat tight runway.

So I guess that there are a few times we have to surrender finesse, and just get it on the ground safely.....