PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First flight to Ireland
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2014, 07:17
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kandi

You have not mentioned whether you hold any instrument qualifications like an IMCR?

If not and you are a pure VFR pilot do really be careful with the weather.
It is easy to have no horizon over the sea and remember too it can be CAVOK over land and thick fog banks over the sea so plan when you go very carefully.
Remember the weather over the pond in S Ireland is often very different to what you have in the UK.

I too would recommend Weston It is not difficult

the beauty of crossing near Anglesey is that you will have excellent radar coverage and helpful although very busy controllers and its very reassuring to see Anglesey behind you for some time and then a line of clouds marking the Irish coast ahead.

Make sure you have the usual Dinghy and life jackets and set off fairly early so you have plenty of daylight hours ahead.

Don't be bashful about taking someone more experienced along for the trip for the first time or if you have MSFS flying it on a home computer first they are surprisingly accurate especially if you have the photo like scenery added.

As a first time water crosser remember only you know the aircraft is over water the aircraft does not and its strange how a normally smooth running engine suddenly takes on a different tone and freaks you out! I am sure that over water you become more aware of the engine sounds and imagine all manner of ills.
Check the engine gauges on a regular basis, try to change tanks if possible over land.

Getting there is one thing coming back another so if you are staying more than the day make sure your return weather is going to be as good as the outbound as many have been caught out

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 19th Sep 2014 at 08:04.