PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Georgian pilot charged with assault
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2014, 02:17
groncher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moronic might be a bit harsh. Nobody likes change, and instead of slowly letting people adjust to user-pay baggage charges by starting off at maybe $11.50 and raising it later, the airlines immediately hit people with $25. WJ has continually been heralded as the success story, making money while everyone else is struggling. So, suddenly charging for baggage is apparently not due to losing money, it's because they can make more by charging for baggage. They have a point when they say people without baggage are subsidizing people with, but I'm doubtful they will drop their standard fares by $25 on the day baggage charges start. All the other kids jumped off the bridge, and now WJ is following.

I cringe when I see what people bring on the aircraft and jam into bins, but I feel more anger toward the airlines for not enforcing their own policies. There will always be pax trying to bring too much carry-on, and the ability to manage them should not be too difficult for an organization capable of administering a complex user-pay baggage policy. Unfortunately that probably won't happen until they figure out a way to charge for excess carry-on, which is probably not too far off in the future.