PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2014, 00:28
Danny42C

Danny moves nearer to his Bowler Hat.

We left Danny some time ago quietly satisfied with the outcome of his C&E interview in Leeds and awaiting a result. Now I am hazy about dates, but it must have been about two months later, in the summer of '72, that the first letter came. I was offered an appointment in London Port Inner (!), to start Monday week (!!).

This, of course, was quite out of the question. The notice was far too short (I had to give the RAF a clear calendar month's notice). And why London Port Inner ? I wasn't joining the "Waterguard", for Pete's sake !; the Interview had made it quite clear that we were recruited to carry the extra load the coming VAT would entail. (I suppose that there might have been a "Local VAT Office" to be set up inside London Port, but I doubt it).

But that was immaterial in any case. For I wrote back politely, thanking them for their offer, but gently making it clear that wild horses wouldn't drag me down anywhere near London. So that's the end of that, I thought.

Not so. A couple of weeks later they tried again. The writer hadn't looked at the file - this time it was London again, but in some more pleasant location in the West End. Again I replied courteously, thanking them again, but adding: "Dismiss from your minds any idea that I'm going anywhere near London".

That must be the last I'd hear from them - I was sure of that. Again I was wrong. A few weeks after they came back with Manchester (take it or leave it, that's our final offer !). I took it. It was no use sitting in Thirsk, saying "Bring the job to me". You have to go to it, if you want it. One good thing: they were remarkably relaxed about joining dates (Iimagine the huge Manchester LVO (Old Trafford) was only slowly building up its staff). I arranged to start there on 3rd March,'73. This would give us plenty of time to "get all our ducks in line".

Of course we would be heartbroken to leave our Thirsk house where we'd been so happy for more than four years - but that's life. And there were more immediate problems. For a start, our old Peugeot (13 years old with 150,000 on the clock - and the head had never been off !) was at the end of the road.

I would need a reliable (new) car for my new job. My lump sum would easily
cover the cost. So what would it be ? Of course, I looked first at Peugeot.

The replacement would be a 504. But the "Coupleur Jaeger" was no longer an option (although I think you could have it on the now superseded 404). I was sold on clutchless driving, so now it would have to be full automatic. They came in at £2,000. This was more than I intended to pay. I lowered my sights, the next choice was a Renault 16 TL auto at £1,500. I closed the deal, Leeming Bar Garages faithfully promised delivery before Christmas. Of course it didn't happen !

Now the ball started to roll, for the decision had been made. I put in my request for a PVR in October and negotiated a date of 31st December'72. Everything went very smoothly. PMC offered me a dining-out, but I declined. My time in the RAF was finished, it had been a good time, but now it was all over.

I'd always resolved to leave with the same ceremony as had attended my entry 31 years before (ie Nil), and now it would be so. I put my uniforms and greatcoat up for sale (but kept the raincoat), they went pretty fast as I'd always been a "stock size", keeping only my cap and gloves as a keepsake and gloves. When the end came, the only Crown properties to stick with me were: one Can, Garden, Watering; one Hoe, Garden (long gone) and one Spectacles Anti-Glare Mk VII (I still use them). And that was all. There would be plenty of time for all my farewells (and there are some Posts to come yet).

The RAF had dealt with me quite generously. My pension, leaving at age 51 after 23 years on my current Commission (for War service is not taken into account) would be 42% of my Military Salary. I've been drawing it now for 42 years (and hope for a few more years yet !) I can't complain.

So, once again I say "Goodnight, everybody".

Danny42C.

Nearly there now !