PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medical Cert Issues
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2014, 00:01
I_Con

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Medical Cert Issues

Hi all
Just after a bit of advice. I recently sat my medical exam and the DAME was happy with everything and re-validated my medical cert for 2 months stating there were no issues to be concerned about.

However I received a letter from casa stating they want Alcohol bloods, I inquired with them as to why and they told me that during the questionnaire regarding alcohol use they use a scoring system, and anyone who scores above 3 automatically gets sent for alcohol bloods. I have scored a 4. I don't really know why this is. I answered all the questions honestly and didn't think I was one to be classed as having a drinking problem. I answered no to all "the ever had a DUI, ever had a drink at work, do I ever consume more than 6 drinks in one sitting, e.t.c". The only thing I did state is that I have 2-3 drinks 2-4 times a week (again just being honest). I don't know if that was enough to score me a 4 or if my DAME ticked the wrong box somewhere.

It is a class 2 for a PPL(A). I received the letter on Monday and had blood taken that evening, however I was at a childs birthday the Sunday before where the alcohol was flowing freely and I had a couple (3 beers so around 4 std drinks over 4 hrs). I haven't had a drink since receiving the letter. 2 of the 3 blood test have come back, the full bloods came back normal, the liver function tests came back with some slightly elevated numbers (I can provide details if anyone knows what they mean) which from what I have read are very sensitive and can be not only be from recent alcohol consumption (not alcohol abuse) but can also be from some meds and even smoking, as well as early signs of liver problems. I'm still waiting on my carbohydrate-deficient transferrin test results, and from what I understand that is the real alcohol abuse test but again can be elevated from recent consumption (again, not abuse). Now when I went for my medical I had a talk to the DAME about my smoking and she prescribed Zyban which is a stop smoking drug which I was on and had not smoked for around 2 weeks when I did my blood tests, however I was using nicotine patches on the DAMES advice to increase my chance of success.

The other problem I have is it takes about 2 weeks to get into see my DAME, and my medical runs out on 22/9. Anyone ever had any experience with a similar situation? I'm just trying to figure out weather to give them my current blood test results with them being slightly elevated and get back inthe air ASAP or wait a week or 2 without drinking and have more blood taken and give them clean test results. And do you think this is the sort of thing that CASA are going to give me a hard time about for months/years to come (i.e am I stuffed?).

Any help/advice appreciated.

Last edited by I_Con; 19th Sep 2014 at 04:25. Reason: Spelling