PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scavenging a crashed 777: for a book
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2014, 00:00
kenpimentel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no hope of rescue. They are on their own. It's not exactly the world as it exists today. Sorry if that's confusing.

There are thermal printers on the plane. I believe there are two of them. I'm not sure about the stability of thermal paper, so it's probably a good idea for someone to bring a portable ink-jet printer.

I'm hoping to convert a gas-powered engine over to steam. I know it can be done. I have to figure out what kind of simple gas-powered engine would make sense in the cargo hold. It seems to be "cheating" to have a small diesel generator sitting on the plane ready to go. I want more McGyver than that.

Thermocouples seem a little forced. It would be pretty random for them to be on the plane.

Right now, I don't think I'll need more thank 1KW per day generation. A windmill will do that. They'll want a steadier power source than wind, which is why steam is the next logical step. Best case would be that steam could drive the APU, but that might require super high pressures and volumes that are difficult to generate McGyver style.

But thanks for the ideas! Please keep them coming.