PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON -3
Thread: MANSTON -3
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2014, 19:13
Twitcher

Location: EGMH..a down, not yet out, formerly awesome airfield
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
over 200 in my opinion, not 100 but ..

MINISTER without portfolio and Conservative Party chairman Grant Shapps has said the government is supporting the campaign to reopen Manston airport.

More than 100 campaigners fighting to save the airport turned out today (Thursday) to hear the cabinet minister tell them: “we back you- we are on your side.”

The MP for Welwyn Hatfield said central government understands that the airport is an important part of the local economy and: “wanted to see what is best for your community.”

Mr Shapps said: “We are reaching a critical moment as I understand things, this has obviously been an issue that has been running for a long time.

“The two local excellent MPs, Roger Gale and Laura Sandys, have been talking about this for a long time, they have talked to me about it before, they have also raised it with the Prime Minister.

“I just thought I was about time to turn those fine words into some action, come here and say to the local council, we are also supportive of your vision for your local area as central government.

“I know this area reasonably well, I know the two nearest towns Ramsgate and Margate and I know these are places that welcome jobs and need the prosperity.

“To throw away the single greatest unique asset the area has without properly thinking that through would be wrong.

“I know the council is thinking it through and I just want to say to them right here, the government is supporting you.”

Mr Shapps, who is a qualified pilot, also revealed he has used Manston in the past.

He appeared at the airport alongside Labour leader of Thanet council Iris Johnston and Conservative parliamentary candidate for Thanet South Craig Mackinlay.

US-based firm RiverOak Investment met with Thanet council officials today as discussions over the viability of a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) of the airport continue.

Mr Shapps said the government has put measures in place to speed up the compulsory purchase process for local authorities.

Read more: VIDEO: Government minister gives backing to Manston airport | Thanet Gazette