PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2014, 08:45
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LO,

I'll do my best, but I don't have the figures to 'elaborate'. I may be able to explain what information I have used to make the statements about T/W ratio.

The UK and US ASTOVL studies in the 80s generated a number of models and data around the driving technologies and capabilities needed for supersonic ASTOVL. Those were carried forward by the US in the late 80s and early 90s, and indicated that significant improvements in core engine performance were needed, in terms of specific thrust, sfc and also overall thrust to weight ratio. As I understood it, the studies showed that more thrust was needed from less engine volume and mass to make the STOVL sums work.

The DoD was also funding a major programme called Integrated High performance Turbine Engine Technology (IHPTET) (1987 to 2005), that involved all the key US manufacturers and was aimed at developing the key technology for the next generation of engines in a number of categories. F135 (and F136) both benefitted from this programme.

By the early to mid 90s, the DoD were convinced that the next generation of engines (with IHPTET technology) would be able to deliver the improved performance required to make the JSF work. Now, how this translated into actual figures for the F135, I can't comment. I would agree with you that this engine very probably has a lot of 'stuff' attached to it to deliver signature and other targets, but that can only be speculation. It's possible that your figures are 'apples and oranges', but I honestly don't know.

Longer - sorry, my bad, I should have been clearer. An engine mishap that doesn't totally destroy the engine, and doesn't cost a life is 'engineering gold', at least in my view. One that costs a life isn't.

Tdracer - thanks for an informative post. I heard similar concerns from the DoD engine guys in the 90s over P&W's record on military jet engines, and they were VERY keen to get the F136, along with it's UK developed LP compressor design, into service. However, the die is cast, and I agree that in the long term, the customer ALWAYS pays. That's a given for military engines whatever side of the pond you're on.

Best Regards as ever to those working the detail against the clock,

Engines