PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Maritime Patrol Aircraft - An Urgent Requirement
Old 17th Sep 2014, 22:19
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Mel

You are missing my point. A400 may be a good pseudo-strat airlifter. It may, one day be a good Tac transport, or SF platform, or a tanker for RW assets. I do not deny that they have huge potential with the A400. Nor do I doubt that they have huge potential with the A330 tanker/transport. But not all nations can afford, nor need anything as capable as an A330, so where is the modern equivalent of the "KC310"? You've developed a military version of the A310 and A330, but where is the option to replace E3, RJ, Sentinel or MPA in the product line? Airbus proposed the A320 MPA. I believe that it was well regarded in one international competition, but it didn't exist. The competition did, and won. C295 AEW v E3? A bit of a step change in capability if we are really honest!!

As for the CASA, do you really, honestly, think that it comes any where near to being a replacement for (even) the P3? Even the example of the Airbus P3A update suggests that Airbus don't believe that the 295 is a viable replacement for a real deep water MPA capability!

Brazil is prepared to put its money where it's mouth is with the KC390; if they can do it, so can Airbus - if they really believe that their military division has a future (and that in itself may be the problem) and yes, I do know it's now Airbus Defence and Space as opposed to Airbus Mil, but AD&S trips off the tongue about as easily as DE&S!!