PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Operationally unnecessary use of autobrakes for landing
Old 17th Sep 2014, 18:46
Intruder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly the 744, not the 737, but I think the concepts are the same, except for those specifically addressing carbon brakes on the 744...

First, I believe idle reverse should be used for ALL landings. There is little reason to use the brakes to overcome residual thrust, especially at high speeds. Keep the engines in reverse until you're ready to exit the runway, or until you'd have to add thrust to continue taxiing. The next time you hit ice on the paint stripes at the end, you'll be glad you picked up the habit...

Boeing does not recommend the sue of Autobrakes 1 on the 744, because it causes the wheel brakes to cycle, which is detrimental to carbon brake life. So, if Autobrakes are used at all, it's 2 or above.

We use Autobrakes as a normal procedure. However, we also have a "hot weather" procedure which allows Autobrakes OFF on a long runway. Idle Reverse and no brakes (except for a brake check crossing 18/36C) is routine for me when landing on Rwy 09 at CVG, and other long runways where we roll out to the end.