PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scavenging a crashed 777: for a book
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2014, 12:21
kenpimentel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scavenging a crashed 777: for a book

Hi, I'm writing a book of fiction that involves a slightly damaged 777 that landed on a primitive island. I've been lucky to be in contact with a 777 pilot to get his input, but there are a lot of technical questions he doesn't know. Hopefully, some of you experts will answer my questions.

Appropriate title for an aircraft engineer?
One of the PAX is on the 777 in order to fix a 757 that is broken elsewhere. What is this person's correct title? Is it "Aircraft Engineer"? Or, Maintenance Engineer or something else? I'm assuming the person is about 35 years old and would be fairly knowledgeable regarding all the plane's systems.

Emergency radios on the raft - can you talk with them?
I know each raft has a radio set to 121.5Mhz, the question is if they just emit a homing signal or if you can talk to anyone else using one of these?

Galley hot water boiler
I'd like to use the hot water boiler as a pressure vessel to generate steam. My question is how large are these boilers (gallons) and how many a 777 is likely to have.

Cabin printer, cockpit printers
Are these regular 8.5 x 11 inkjet printers? Or dot-matrix? Or what? They would be valuable, at least until their ink ran out. Are supplies typically carried on board?

thanks!