PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2014, 09:44
tanimbar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tale from the 1960s ...

This story might make a few chuckle, especially John Farley.

While walking the hills I infrequently bump into an old RN articifer (b.1942). We chat, exchange views, knowledge - you get the picture. For some reason I described the problems with the F-35A engine, i.e. excessive blade rubbing leading to eventual fire. My friend smiled knowingly and his eyes sparkled. With some delight he then told me that in the mid-1960s he was aboard the RN aircraft carrier first tasked with trialling the new Buccaneer S.2 with its new Spey engines. (Note: I should have asked for more details of ship and date.)

He said that the Speys were failing at an alarming rate and that he and other articifers were working round the clock replacing them. Because the engines were 'sealed units' no-one on-board was allowed to strip the engines to find the cause (not that that would have helped operationally). This went on for days; good engines running low; tempers high between enginering and flying staff.

Eventually a senior RN engineer was flown aboard. He waited for a flight of Buccaneers to return. There were engine failure(s). Engineer proceeded to strip a Spey, something my articifer friend had never witnessed before - it made a great impression. Anyway, eventually the senior engineer reports to all the witnesses to his butchery that he has found the cause of the failures....

...... rotor blades failing due to excessive rubbing against the surrounding engine casing.

Of course, a solution was found and, as we all know, the Buccaneer S.2 and Spey went on to great acclaim.

regards, Tanimbar

Update courtesy of David Parry: the carrier was HMS Victorious, 1966.

Last edited by tanimbar; 18th Sep 2014 at 07:54.