PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2014, 23:18
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a young Halton Apprentice in the late 60s early 70s I was always warned never to drop my soap in the communal showers. In my innocence at a mere 16 years old, I understood that that was some sort of "professional" achievement to aspire to. Oh how my eyes have been opened by subsequent years in the service. But I never dropped that bloody soap meanwhile, back at the ranch, as an ex "tecky" if you can offer your experience Danny, what sort of relationship was there between aircrew and groundcrew during WW2? And of course subsequently. I, as a late 60s recruit saw one version, your thoughts would be interesting on that relationship, if there was one. My departed father in law experienced life as Groundcrew on 617 and 75(NZ) Squadrons during WW2, and, toward the end of his time, often alluded to the comradeship of wartime service as his "best of times". I will never forget him telling me of being ordered, with several fellow "Erks" in to the bomb bay of a 75 Sqn Stirling for an air test following an engine change. Having closed the bomb doors, locks were fitted to prevent accidental opening of the doors in flight. I'm sure you have memories of some of your own Erks in "the East".

Smudge