PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAC Jet Provost
Thread: BAC Jet Provost
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2014, 09:56
Madbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanderer 00

Ditto the hours but by my time the 4 had gone and replaced by the 5. As regards the JP5 with tip tanks that does not make it a Stikemaster as the Strikemaster had underwing pylons and a gun/bomb sight.

The JP5 with tip tanks was the version the RAF used to train navigators destined for the LL fast-jet role when at Finningley. The "normal" JP5A wazzing around at low level could do 300 kts (330 at a pinch) but sortie lengths were a max of 50-60 minutes. The tanks gave the baby navs an extra 30 minutes or so....(to find their way back to base!)

Beags

You also need to remember that Cranwell was not the only BFTS....there was also Linton and Church Fenton in the 1970's/80's with a combined fleet of probably 220 JP's running multiple courses throughout the year. Go back further to the 1960's and there will no doubt be others who can recall more BFTS's that have all since closed.

My BFT course at Linton has 5-yearly re-unions and the 35th is in York at the end of next month - it will be great to see the guys again. Happily, none of the course I was on have been killed in accidents or even had to experience a Martin-Baker let down. A pretty unique achievement I should think.

As you say a great little jet.

MB