PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prang at mudgee 14/9/14, 2 dead
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2014, 01:59
Eyrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RV characteristics

I did some test flight engineering on a friend's RV6 quite a while ago(one of the last under 101.28), helped with some flight tests and subsequently did a tailwheel endorsement in the aircraft. I've also flown an RV7A.

Some observations:
The RV6/7 had a weakness in that the longerons in the cockpit area could fail under crash loads and the cockpit area fold up. Daffyd Llewellyn designed a fix in the form of some steel tube added in that area.

The NACA 23012/23015 series airfoils used have an abrupt stall. Stall on the RV6 at gross was 52KIAS clean and 49KIAS with full flap. The airspeed system was honest (measured by GPS and IAS to TAS technique).
No aerodynamic stall warning. Pitch down and wing drop.

The RV6 with O-360 CS prop and a nice paint job but no excessive panel bling was 505Kg empty. Max Gross is 726kg. A model (nosewheel has I think another 50 lbs or 23 Kg) Doesn't leave much disposable for 140 liters of fuel, people and bags.

I suspect most RV6s are flown over designer's gross at takeoff when flown two up unless fitted with O-320 and fixed pitch wooden prop.