PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checklists according to CASA
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2014, 21:42
Defenestrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, in many FOI's eyes, the checklist should be verbatim from the POH/AFM. After all the aircraft got certified didn't it? Surely the manufacturer knows what they're talking about?

What this creates is monotonous, lengthy checklists that ultimately don't get shown much homage, from single pilot crews at least. In my time of dealing with CASA on flight check system matters the company had established an abbreviated checklist for use on the flight deck. It was scans and flows followed by a short checklist. In conjunction with this checklist (and also forming part of the flight check system) was an expanded checklist that detailed what was covered by each item of the abbreviated checklist. Both checklists lived in the aircraft though the expanded only really came out during training and checks. Thankfully at the time the FOI I dealt with was very much in agreement with the philosophy and a firm believer in scans and flows (ex airline type with many years of upper echelon GA prior).

Interestingly the FOI that looks after my current company insisted on the checklists being AFM verbatim (and they're rubbish). I hazard a guess it's because (and I'm not having a go) he's neither qualified or experienced enough to approve anything other than what's in the AFM (and yes I am aware of the legal requirements and possible ramifications to the FOI).

D