PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multicom vs area frequency
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2014, 21:15
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Cap'n

You can't 'cherry pick' the bits that happen to suit you, and impose on everyone else the conseqential inconvenience.

Where is this 'Timbuktu' from which all these area frequency-clogging broadcasts are originating? Is it near Bullamakanka? All fiction rather than fact.

I'm still confused because Jack says no VFRs outside Class Charlie are listening on Area, but according to triadic there's a bunch of skygods in the cruise who have to endure the trauma of listening to "all the low level crap on area". Nominate the frequency, triadic, so I can listen to it.

I've flown across Australia more than a few times, listening to three frequencies at once, and I'm pleasantly surprised when I hear any "low level crap" on any frequency. And yes, I understand the retransmission/area combination system.
Why didn't this happen in the first place then??
Because IFRs couldn't cope with the concept of there being no traffic information service in Class G, and the demise of Flightwatch left only one option for the provision of on-request services to VFRs.

If you're going to provide a traffic information service to IFRs and on-request service to VFRs in G, you need a frequency on which it can be provided by Airservices. Let's call that the 'Area frequency'.

Last edited by Creampuff; 15th Sep 2014 at 21:42.