PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First flight to Ireland
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2014, 20:57
KandiFloss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Una Due Tfc - thanks for your advice, I appreciate that, and thank you for Shannon AIS's number

Maxred - yes, it's good advice to have an alternative, especially after crossing all that water. I did originally think about going into Weston before, but I was a little apprehensive about heading to Dublin area, as there seems to be quite a few military/restricted areas around it (CASEMENT/Baldonnel, etc) which I am worried might be tricky to fly around. I would like something fairly straightforward, as I only have 140 hours Total Time, and although I am hoping to fly with someone more experienced, I still want to take responsiblity for the flight. Unfortunately I don't have Sky Demon, the aircraft that I hire has a GPS though. Thank you for your wishes, I hope to have a good flight, it's for a significant birthday, so I want to do something memorable!

Jan Olieslagers - thanks for your reply. I know that it sounds a bit silly, but yes, I am a bit apprehensive about filing a flight plan, as i've never done it before. I've only ever seen a flight plan whilst studying. I'm sure that it will be fine, and if there is any problem, they will ask for clarification. It's nice of you (having had the experience of having filed a flight plan) to offer me some advice. The advice about filing a practice is a great idea. Thank you

Fionn101 - A while ago did originally think about going into Weston, but as I mentioned in my comment to Maxred, I was a little apprehensive about heading to Dublin area, as there seems to be quite a few restricted areas around it (CASEMENT/Baldonnel, etc) which I am worried might be tricky to fly around. I am a bit apprensive about flying across the Irish Sea (particularly in a Cessna), and someone with more experience has suggested flying up to Scotland, and then across to somewhere like Enniskillen. I know that this reduces the distance travelled over the sea. I'd love to go to Ireland, my grandmother was Irish, and i've always said that the first time that I go to Ireland I want to fly myself. I did some research over the weekend, looked at a map of Ireland, and the information and pictures of Wicklow looked lovely. I've just got to have the courage to do it now! Thanks for your reply!