PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA journey?
Thread: USA journey?
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2014, 16:49
banjodrone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fa2fi is right, unfortunately. In aviation you learn fast that pragmatism is an asset and if you want in, you have to play the game by their rules. Training in the US used to be the only game in town for most people but that's done a complete 180 now as the European training industry quite understandably wanted their fair share of the pie and made some bold moves to make it happen starting about 15 years ago.
There is a wonderful history and culture of flying and some outstanding schools in North America, not to mention the opportunity to fly in a wide variety of airspace and conditions but what matters is the right piece of paper and the right connections. At 18 you can probably afford to make that mistake at least once but it's best to avoid it completely. Whatever you do, don't just get FAA certs with the intention of converting later, that will prove to be more problematic than you can imagine.
My advice, get educated.....get a degree and make and save as much money as you can, then when you have enough money go to one of the "big 3" schools. If it all falls apart for some reason you'll still have a degree.

This is hard won advice coming from someone who made all the wrong choices my friend. I'd like to think that someone can benefit from that, the silver lining so to speak.