PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Video downlink
Thread: Video downlink
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2014, 16:34
ground_star

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've fallen on your feet in that I'm the resident PPRUNE Broadcast engineer & I just happen to have previously worked for the company who did all of the travel news 'eye in the sky' style in the UK some years back.

Firstly, licensing & bandwidth are an issue as others have said, but they can be overcome with money. The distance however is somewhat more of a problem.

The pro systems (Loadsa Money!) are called COFDM systems, which stands for coded orthogonal frequency division multiplexing. Boring subject not for this site. Anyway, I can certainly help get you in touch with the right people for fitting such a system for you if money is not an issue.

If however you're on a budget you may consider using data links, high power, licence free - this is far from reliable & may be a bloody nightmare to use. I'm pretty sure there will be some legalese to stop these being used aloft too. They'd do the distance given height & LoS..

Shorter range there is some Teradek stuff which you could make use of.

Aside from that perhaps Teradek Cube & Bolt combined with multiple 3G/4G dongles could work given a low enough altitude & steady groundspeed.

Fitting well provided it's signed off by your spanners man (& done by him I'd suggest) then I see few issues there

Anyway, if you need a hand with any of this, drop me a PM - I'm sure we can strike a balance between forum help & anything commercial you have in mind.