PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nice One Tayside
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2014, 15:41
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read some of the comments on here with a wry smile...social media hey...people sure do like to spraff it up.

Few corrections for you all (and trust me, I know)

Public sector contracts do not get habitually "extended" (It's against the law). Most public sector contracts (and this one is no different) have to be competed every two to three years. Tayside has it because they win it. Period.

Most cadets (about 95%) solo within the allocated 12 hours because

a. They are exceptional.
b. More importantly, the vast majority have passed their gliding scholarship by going solo in a glider. Exceptions are rare (2 or 3 a year).

The course is operated under standard CAA (or whatever it is now) guidelines IAW the PPL rules and regs for PPL training...100%. The MOD throws an extra level of supervision over it because:

c. They are paying.
d. Tayside are flying Air Cadets.

The Elementary Standards Unit of the RAF Central Flying School do not occasionally pitch up, they come every six weeks or so throughout the main flying period. Their job is to

e. Audit the output, by flying with students who have soloed
f. Authorise the civilian instructors to instruct cadets(and on what type)

Tayside also have contracts to deliver the same or similar scholarships to:

GAPAN UK
GAPAN Hong Kong
The Air League
The John Cunningham Foundation
The MOD UK Graduate Engineer Programme

Its an outstanding series of scholarships, delivered by an outstanding flying school, doing an outstanding job for aviation in Scotland.

And no, I don't work there. But I do know a great deal about the Air Cadets and military aviation In Scotland...and I am a huge fan and advocate of both.